Quinoa with Fresh Veggies
This vegan dish contains heart-healthy olive oil and quinoa, a complete protein containing all nine essential amino acids and almost twice as much fiber as most other grains. You can use different veggies of your choice instead of broccoli and carrots. You can also use less chickpeas and replace them with more veggies.
Makes 4 servings
|1/2 cup uncooked NOW Organic Quinoa Grain*|
|1 cup water|
|1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained|
|3/4 cup chopped broccoli|
|1/2 cup carrots, chopped|
|1/4 cup red onion, chopped|
|1/2 cup NOW Raw, Unsalted Sunflower Seeds*|
|1 clove garlic, minced, or to taste|
|1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice|
|1 teaspoon dried rosemary|
|3 tablespoons Ellyndale Organics™ Extra-Virgin Olive Oil*|
|Optional: 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard|
|Salt and black pepper to taste|
*NOW products available at your local health food store
- Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender, and the water has been absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Scrape the cooked quinoa into a mixing bowl.
- Add the garbanzo beans, broccoli, carrots, red onion, sunflower seeds, garlic, lemon juice, rosemary, mustard (optional), and olive oil.
- Stir until evenly mixed. Season to taste with salt and black pepper before serving.