Little Quinoa Patties
Adapted from Epicurious.com, April 2011
These little patties are good hot or cold. The basic version below may be customized to your taste by adding a handful of very finely chopped broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, or your choice.
|2 1/2 cups cooked, then cooled NOW Real Food® Organic Quinoa*|
|4 large eggs, beaten|
|1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt|
|1/3 cup/.5 oz /15 g finely chopped fresh chives|
|1 yellow or white onion, finely chopped|
|1/3 cup/.5 oz/15 g freshly grated Parmesan or Gruyère cheese|
|3 cloves garlic, finely chopped|
|1 cup/3.5 oz /100 g whole grain bread crumbs, plus more if needed|
|Water, if needed|
|1 tablespoon clarified butter Ellyndale Organics™ Extra Virgin Olive Oil*|
To cook quinoa:
- Combine 2 cups/12 oz/340 g of well-rinsed uncooked quinoa with 3 cups / 700 ml water and 1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, cover, decrease the heat, and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, until the quinoa is tender and you can see the little quinoa curlicues.
To make patties:
- Combine the quinoa, eggs, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Stir in the chives, onion, cheese, and garlic.
- Add the bread crumbs, stir, and let sit for a few minutes so the crumbs can absorb some of the moisture. At this point, you should have a mixture you can easily form into twelve 1-inch/2.5cm thick patties. Err on the very moist side because it makes for a not-overly-dry patty, but you can add more bread crumbs, a bit at a time, to firm up the mixture, if need be. Conversely, a bit more beaten egg or water can be used to moisten the mixture.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-low heat, add 6 patties, if they'll fit with some room between each, cover, and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, until the bottoms are deeply browned. Turn up the heat if there is no browning after 10 minutes and continue to cook until the patties are browned.
- Carefully flip the patties with a spatula and cook the second sides for 7 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove from the skillet and cool on a wire rack while you cook the remaining patties. Alternatively, the quinoa mixture keeps nicely in the refrigerator for a few days; you can cook patties to order, if you prefer.
*NOW items available at your local health food store