Vegan Gluten-Free Mini Veggie Burgers
Adapted from “The Daily Green”, www.thedailygreen.com
These bean burgers feature amaranth, a tiny, gluten-free grain that’s rich in protein and has twice as much iron as wheat.
Makes 12-13 mini-burgers
|2 cups cooked drained lentils (cook according to instructions below or use canned)|
|½ cup dry NOW Real Food® Amaranth Grain*|
|1 tablespoon NOW Real Food® Extra Virgin Olive Oil*|
|½ cup onion, ﬁnely diced (about half a medium onion)|
|1 large carrot, peeled and grated|
|¼ teaspoon celery seeds|
|½ cup quick or instant oats|
|2 tablespoons ketchup|
|2 tablespoons NOW® Nutritional Yeast Flakes*|
|½ teaspoon salt, or to taste|
|½ cup NOW Real Food® Sunﬂower Seeds*|
Preparing the Lentils:
- To cook the lentils, add 1 cup dry lentils to 3 cups boiling water and cook until the lentils are soft, about 30 minutes.
- Drain, measure out 2 cups of lentils and place them in a large mixing bowl (save any extra lentils for another use).
Preparing the Amaranth:
- Add the amaranth to 1 cup boiling water.
- Lower the heat and cook, covered, until the amaranth is cooked and all the water is absorbed, about 25 minutes.
- Add the cooked amaranth to the mixing bowl.
Preparing the Burgers:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper and spray with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a nonstick or cast-iron skillet over medium heat and sauté the onion, carrot and celery seeds until the carrot is soft, about 8 minutes, then add to the mixing bowl along with the oats, ketchup, nutritional yeast flakes and salt.
- Grind the sunflower seeds into a coarse meal using a food processor, then add them to the mixing bowl and mix and mash everything together.
- Form mixture into 12 to 13 small patties, about 2 3/4 inches in diameter and 1/2 inch thick, and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Moisten your fingers with a bit of water to keep the mixture from sticking as you work.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until dry on the top, then flip the patties over and bake for another 10 minutes, until firm and brown.
- Serve immediately or let cool completely if packing in a lunchbox. (Mini Veggie Burgers also freeze well.)
*NOW items available at your local health food store