Adapted from "Build Your Own Veggie Burger", Chicago Tribune, July 19, 2009
This alternative to frozen veggie burgers omits preservatives and fillers, and lets you personalize some ingredients to your taste.
|2 15-ounce cans of beans, rinsed (kidney, pinto, or black; or a combination of your choice)|
|2 carrots, grated|
|1 onion, diced|
|2 cloves of garlic, chopped|
|1/2 Cup NOW Real Food® Rolled Oats*|
|3 Tbsp. butter|
|A few dashes of seasoning, such as chili powder and cumin|
|A few squeezes of ketchup and mustard|
- Heat a tablespoon of butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until translucent.
- Add the garlic, salt, and pepper to taste.
- After a minute, remove from the heat to cool.
- In a bowl, combine the beans, carrots, oats, ketchup and mustard with the onion and garlic mixture.
- Use a potato masher to crush the ingredients together.
- Divide mixture into six balls.
- In the same skillet over medium heat, melt enough butter to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Put two or three balls on.
- After a few minutes, flatten the balls with a spatula.
- When slightly browned, flip.
*NOW items available at your local health food store