Chili Brown Rice with Chicken, Black Beans and Olives
This high fiber recipe was adapted from “Whole Grains for Busy People”, by Lorna Sass.
The chicken may be omitted for a vegetarian option.
|1 Tbsp. NOW Real Food® Extra Virgin Olive Oil*|
|2 cups uncooked brown rice|
|2 tsp. to 2 Tbsp. chili powder|
|1 tsp. ground cumin|
|1 tsp. dried oregano|
|5 cups water or chicken (or veggie) broth|
|2 cups chunky salsa, plus more for serving|
|1/2 tsp. salt|
|1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained, rinsed|
|3 cups diced cooked chicken|
|1 cup frozen corn|
|1/2 cup pitted black olives, halved if large|
|1 ripe, firm avocado, diced|
|1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro|
|Juice of 1 lime|
|Sour cream, grated cheddar or pepper jack cheese, chopped red onion|
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat; add the rice.
- Toast, stirring occasionally, until aromatic, 3-4 minutes.
- Turn heat to low; push rice aside.
- Stir in chili powder to taste, add cumin and oregano; toast 15 seconds.
- Gradually stir in water or broth; stir in salt and 2 cups of the salsa.
- Taste; stir in more chili powder if you like.
- Heat to a boil over high heat, then cover and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer until rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed; about 1 hour.
- Stir in beans, chicken, corn and olives.
- If mixture seems dry, stir in more salsa and cover; continue cooking 1 minute.
- Turn off heat; let rest, covered, 4 minutes.
- Stir in avocado and cilantro.
- Add lime juice, pepper and salt to taste, if needed.
- Serve at the table with bowls of salsa, sour cream, cheese and onion.
21g fat (3g saturated fat)
*NOW items available at your local health food store
Rate This Recipe