Rainbow Trout with Flaxseed Crust
Adapted from the Chicago Tribune, Good Eating, February 29, 2012
You may substitute salmon or whitefish for the trout in this flavorful recipe, packed with omega-3. It pairs well with spinach, steamed bok choy or other greens of your choice.
|4 fresh rainbow trout fillets, about 6 ounces each|
|2 Tbsp. Ellyndale Organics™ Extra Virgin Olive Oil*|
|3/4 tsp. sea salt|
|1/4 cup NOW Real Food® Organic Flax Seed Meal*|
|1/2 to 1 tsp. ground peppercorns|
|1 tsp. dried rosemary or 3/4 tsp. fresh rosemary, chopped|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the fillets, skin side down, on a parchment-lined rimmed baking dish.
- Season fillets with 1/4 teaspoon salt, and brush with the olive oil.
- Mix remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt with the flax seed meal, ground peppercorns and rosemary in a small bowl (taste for seasoning; you may like more salt, rosemary or peppercorns to flavor the flaxseed meal).
- Sprinkle the mixture over the top of the fish, covering the surface completely as if breading, but don’t dip the fillets. You may need more flax seed mixture, depending on the size of the fillets.
- Gently pat mixture into the fish with your palms or a fork.
- Bake 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow fish to cool so that flavors settle; 5 minutes. The crust should be moist, not hard, with a crunchy texture and a dark golden brown color.
17 g fat
3 g saturated fat
90 mg cholesterol
2 g carbohydrates
31 g protein
512 g sodium
2 g fiber
*NOW items available at your local health food store