Mediterranean Meat Loaf
The following recipes is from Marcia Zimmerman’s book, "Eat Your Colors". This book will give you some ideas about foods that are best for each of three body types identified by color - red, yellow or green - and how to use herbs, spices, sauces and condiments to balance off-colors. Visit Marcia’s website for more healthy recipes: www.marciazimmerman.com .
This is a delicious recipe that will work for all three body type colors.
|¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes|
|¼ teaspoon ground black pepper|
|½ cup milk|
|1-½ pounds ground turkey|
|1 cup quick or old fashioned, uncooked rolled oats*|
|1 teaspoon garlic powder|
|1 teaspoon dried oregano|
|¼ teaspoon salt (optional; adds 72 mg sodium)|
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Soften tomatoes according to package directions; coarsely chop and set aside.
- In small skillet, cook spinach and onion over low heat 4 - 5 minutes or until onion is tender, then remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Stir in cheese; set aside
- In large bowl, combine turkey, oats, garlic powder, oregano, salt, if desired, pepper, milk and sun-dried tomatoes; mix lightly but thoroughly.
- Shape 2/3 of turkey mixture into a 9x6 inch loaf in a 13x9 inch baking dish.
- Make a deep indentation down center of turkey mixture, leaving about 1-½ inches around edges of loaf; fill with spinach mixture.
- Top with remaining turkey mixture to completely cover spinach filling; pinch edges to seal.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until juices run clear when pierced with fork.
- Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.
*NOW items available at your local health food store