Hearty Chicken Casserole
This delicious high-protein dish uses heart-healthy whole grain brown rice and gluten-free brown rice flour.
Cook Review: This tasty recipe is easy to make. Textured soy protein (TSP) chunks could be substituted for the chicken. ~ Natalie S.
Makes 6 servings
|2 Tbsp. NOW Organic Extra-Virgin Olive Oil*, plus more for greasing|
|1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces|
|1/2 lb. sliced mushrooms|
|2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme, divided|
|2 large carrots, chopped|
|1 stalk celery, thinly sliced|
|1 small Vidalia or sweet onion, chopped|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|1/4 cup NOW Organic Brown Rice Flour*|
|1 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth|
|1 cup whole milk|
|1 cup cooked brown rice|
|1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese|
|1/4 cup NOW Organic Pine Nuts*|
|1/2 tsp. sweet paprika|
|1/2 cup frozen peas|
*NOW products available at your local health food store
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly oil a 9-inch pie dish and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, 1 teaspoon of the thyme, carrots, celery, onions, salt and pepper and cook until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Add broth and milk, stir well and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until very thick, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine rice, cheese, pine nuts, paprika, remaining 1 teaspoon thyme, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Stir peas into chicken mixture, then season with salt and pepper and transfer to prepared dish.
- Distribute rice mixture evenly over the top, then arrange dish on a baking sheet to catch any drips.
- Bake until bubbly and crust is crisp, about 30 minutes.