Quinoa Primavera with Chicken, Spring Peas and Asparagus
Adapted from Whole Foods Market recipes
Roasted or rotisserie chicken works perfectly in this recipe. Any leftover quinoa primavera can be chilled and tossed with vinaigrette to make a lively salad.
Cook’s Review: “I used chicken broth instead of water for more flavor. The blend of red onion, sweet peas, and asparagus was awesome. This dish was easy to make and very good!” ~ Shari L.
Makes 4 servings
|1 cup NOW Certified Organic Quinoa Grain*|
|2 cups water|
|1 Tablespoon Ellyndale Organics™ Extra Virgin Olive Oil*|
|1/2 cup finely chopped red onion|
|1/2 pound (about 1/2 bunch) asparagus, woody ends snapped off and discarded, spears cut into 1-inch pieces|
|2 cloves garlic, finely chopped|
|1 cup fresh peas or frozen petite peas, thawed|
|1 cup shredded cooked chicken|
|1 cup thinly sliced baby spinach leaves|
|Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste|
*NOW items available at your local health food store
- Rinse quinoa under cold running water and drain.
- Combine water and quinoa in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until quinoa is tender and all the water is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and asparagus.
- Cook, stirring often, until asparagus is tender and bright green, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add garlic and peas and continue cooking for another minute.
- Stir in chicken and cooked quinoa.
- Add the spinach and stir until it wilts, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Total Fat: 9g
Saturated Fat: 1.5g
Dietary Fiber: 7g