Quinoa Stir-Fry with Vegetables and Chicken
Adapted from www.epicurious.com
Quinoa is a source of energizing iron and amino acids, protein's building blocks. For a vegetarian version, you may omit the chicken.
|3/4 cup rinsed NOW Real Food® Organic Quinoa*|
|1/2 teaspoon salt, divided|
|1 tablespoon vegetable oil|
|1 small carrot, thinly sliced|
|1 medium red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped|
|2 teaspoons grated ginger|
|1 clove garlic, sliced|
|1 small red chile, chopped (optional)|
|2 cups snow peas, trimmed|
|1/4 teaspoon black pepper|
|1 egg, beaten|
|4 ounces grilled chicken breast, chopped|
|2 scallions, chopped|
|1/2 cup cilantro|
|1 tablespoon soy sauce|
- Place quinoa in a small saucepan with 3/4 cup water and 1/4 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and cook, undisturbed, until quinoa absorbs water, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, fluff with a fork and leave uncovered.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook carrot, stirring occasionally, until it softens, about 1 minute.
- Add bell pepper, ginger, garlic and chile, if desired; cook, stirring frequently, about 2 minutes.
- Add peas, sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, 1 minute.
- Remove vegetables and return skillet to heat; add quinoa, along with egg and cook, stirring constantly, until egg is evenly distributed, about 2 minutes.
- Add vegetables, chicken, scallions, cilantro and soy sauce; cook 1 minute more.
- Divide stir-fry among 4 bowls; serve warm.
7.8 g fat (1.1 g saturated)
30 g carbohydrates
4 g fiber
17 g protein
*NOW items available at your local health food store