Tropical Fruit Bars
Adapted from “Sweeten Your Life the Xylitol Way” recipe book
Makes 36 bars
|1 cup dates, chopped|
|20 oz. can unsweetened crushed pineapple with juice|
|1 cup spelt flour or whole wheat pastry flour|
|2/3 cup NOW Real Food® Organic Unsweetened Shredded Coconut*|
|1/2 cup NOW Real Food® Raw Pecans*|
|3 cups NOW Real Food® Organic Rolled Oats*|
|1/4 cup NOW Real Food® Xylitol*|
|1 Tbsp. NOW Real Food® Lecithin Granules*|
|1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice|
|2 Tbsp. NOW Real Food® Extra Virgin Olive Oil*|
|2 Tbsp. unsweetened applesauce|
- Combine the dates and pineapple with its juice in a saucepan.
- Cook on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until fruit mixture is thick; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, coconut, pecans, oats, xylitol, and lecithin granules.
- In a small bowl, mix orange juice, oil, and applesauce, then add to the oat mixture and mix well.
- Press half of this mixture into a buttered 9” x 13” pan.
- Spread fruit evenly on top of crust.
- Roll out remaining dough between 2 sheets of waxed paper to 9” x 13”.
- Place top crust over fruit mixture, and press lightly.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until top crust is light brown.
*NOW items available at your local health food store