Orange Oatmeal Coffee Cake
Adapted from www.HealthyHighways.com, The Good Breakfast Book, by David & Nikki Goldbeck.
A Goldbeck favorite. Stays soft and moist for several days.
|1 1/2 cups orange juice|
|1 cup NOW Real Food® Rolled Oats*|
|1/4 cup NOW Real Food® Coconut Oil*|
|1/2 cup honey|
|1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour|
|1 teaspoon baking powder|
|1 teaspoon baking soda|
|1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder|
|1 tablespoon chopped orange rind (from organic fruit, if possible)|
|1/2 teaspoon cinnamon|
|1/4 teaspoon salt|
|1/2 cup NOW Real Food® Walnuts*|
|1/2 cup NOW Real Food® Coconut*|
|3 tablespoons NOW Real Food® Maple Syrup*|
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Bring orange juice to boil, pour over oats and let stand while assembling remaining ingredients.
- Beat together oil, honey and egg until light and foamy.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, milk powder, orange rind, salt, and cinnamon.
- Add dry mixture alternately with softened oats to egg mixture, beating gently until smooth.
- Pour into an oiled 10-inch round baking pan and bake 20 minutes.
- Combine topping ingredients, sprinkle over cake, and bake 10 minutes longer, until cake tests done.
*NOW items available at your local health food store