Flax Harvest Muffins
This recipe is high in fiber (flax, oats and vegetables), low in fat (skim milk, only one egg, pumpkin instead of oil), high in antioxidants (flax, vegetables and pumpkin), and also has healthy fats found in walnuts. As an added bonus, the muffins are scrumptious.
Makes 12 muffins
|1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (you may substitute 1 cup whole wheat flour plus ½ cup all-purpose flour)|
|1/2 cup freshly ground NOW Real Food® Organic Flax Seeds*|
|1 cup NOW Real Food® Organic Rolled Oats*|
|3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar|
|3 tsp. baking powder|
|1/2 tsp. cinnamon|
|1/4 tsp. salt|
|2/3 cup skim milk|
|1/4 cup canned pumpkin|
|1 cup finely shredded carrot|
|1/2 cup shredded, unpeeled zucchini (1 small)|
|1/2 cup NOW Real Food® Walnuts*|
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, ground flaxseed, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; mix well.
- In a small bowl, combine milk, egg and pumpkin; blend well, then add to dry ingredients all at once; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Stir in carrot and zucchini just until blended.
- Spoon the batter into muffin tin.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 16 to 20 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Immediately remove from pan; serve warm.
*NOW items available at your local health food store
Rate This Recipe