Sheila's Crispy Date Nut Granola (Sheila M. Fox)
My family and I have always enjoyed granola for breakfast or a snack. About a year ago, a customer explained how easy it is to create homemade granola. Wanting to keep costs down and still eat healthy, I thought I would try making some myself. I discovered that homemade is much more flavorful and hearty. I haven’t bought pre-made since. I hope you'll enjoy this recipe as much as my family has.
|3 cups organic quick oats (1 minute)|
|2 tablespoons NOW Real Food® Maple Syrup*|
|¼ teaspoon cinnamon (ground)|
|½ cup crispy rice cereal|
|½ cup dried dates (coarsely chopped)|
|2 cups organic rolled oats|
|1/2 cup cup raw almonds|
|1/3 cup raw cashews|
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix rolled oats, quick oats, almonds and cashews in a large bowl; set aside.
- Warm honey, maple syrup, and cinnamon in small saucepan.
- Slowly mix warmed liquids into dry ingredients until all dry pieces are moistened.
- Divide mixture between the two cookie sheets and spread evenly to the edges of the pan.
- Bake pans in oven 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes--with the spatula, scrape mixture from the edges to the middle, stir, then spread out evenly again. Grains should be golden brown when done.
- Remove cookie sheets from oven and immediately mix ingredients with the crispy rice cereal and the dates.
- Let mixture cool to room temperature before storing in airtight containers. Enjoy!
*NOW items available at your local health food store