Oatmeal Walnut Cake
This filling cake has heart-healthy rolled oats and walnuts and a hint of cinnamon. Chocolate chips or raisins give it extra taste and texture. You can make the cake a day ahead and add icing before serving.
Note: You may find that this cake is moist enough to skip the icing. If you wish to skip the icing, omit 1/2 cup Turbinado sugar, 1/4 cup yogurt, 2 tablespoons butter and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
Cook’s Review: “Everyone loved this cake! It tastes like carrot cake, without the carrots and is easy to make.” ~ Diane H.
|6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and divided, plus more for the pan|
|1 1/2 cup NOW Organic Rolled Oats*|
|2 cups NOW Organic Turbinado Sugar*, divided|
|1/2 cup NOW Certified Organic Walnuts*, chopped|
|1/4 cup chocolate chips or raisins (optional)|
|3/4 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt, divided|
|1 tablespoon NOW Organic Vanilla Extract*|
|1 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour|
|1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda|
|1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|1 teaspoon fine sea salt, divided|
*NOW ingredients available at your local health food store
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Butter a 9x13-inch baking pan.
3. Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil in a small pot, and then pour over oats in a large, heatproof bowl; set aside.
4. In a second large bowl, beat 1 1/2 cups of the sugar, 1/2 cup of the yogurt, 4 tablespoons of the butter, vanilla and eggs with a wooden spoon until combined.
5. Stir in walnuts, chocolate chips or raisins, flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and 3/4 teaspoon of the salt, and then stir in oatmeal mixture until well combined.
6. Transfer to the prepared pan, spread out evenly, and bake until golden brown and the cake springs back in the middle when touched, about 35 minutes.
7. Set aside to let cool completely.
8. When cool, make the icing. In a small bowl, whisk together remaining 1/2 cup Turbinado sugar, remaining 1/4 cup yogurt, remaining 2 tablespoons butter and 1/4 teaspoon salt until well combined.
9. Spread over cake, cut into squares and serve.
Per Serving:210 calories (50 from fat), 5g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 35mg cholesterol, 280mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (2g dietary fiber, 25g sugar), 4g protein