Adapted from the Chicago Tribune “Good Eating” section, March 20, 2013
These vegan, gluten-free macaroons are chewy and moist, with a rich, chocolate flavor.
Makes about 20 macaroons
|3 T NOW Organic Virgin Coconut Oil*, melted|
|1 cup NOW Organic Maple Syrup*|
|1 tsp almond extract|
|3 cups NOW Organic Unsweetened Shredded Coconut*|
|1 1/2 cups NOW Organic Cocoa Powder*|
|1/2 cup almond meal or ground almonds**|
|1/4 teaspoon sea salt|
|Optional: Confectioners’ sugar|
*To measure solid coconut oil, estimate how much you will need and melt it in a saucepan over gentle heat. Then measure the melted oil.
**Instead of the almond meal, you can substitute finely ground almonds in a food processor.
*NOW ingredients available at your local health food store
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Place shredded coconut in sauté pan on medium low heat. Toss the shredded coconut for 2 minutes or until the coconut has toasted.
- In a bowl pour coconut oil, maple syrup, almond extract, toasted coconut, cocoa powder, almond meal (or ground almonds), and salt.
- Stir until well combined.
- Using 2 Tablespoons mixture per cookie, shape into mounds, packing mixture firmly.
- Distribute cookies onto a parchment-covered baking sheet, leaving 2 inches between them. Do not press down.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Let cool a few minutes and then transfer cookies to a cooling rack.
- When cool, dust with a little confectioners’ sugar, if desired.
Total Fat: 8 g
Saturated Fat: 5 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 37 mg
Carbohydrates: 14 g
Dietary Fiber: 2 g
Protein: 2 g