Raw Cherry Crisp with Chia and Dates
Adapted from Whole Foods Market Recipes
Sweet cherries get a flavorful topping made from dates, almonds and nutritious chia seeds. This is a superb fresh dessert, yet is healthful enough to serve for snacks.
Cook’s Review: “Excellent! Has sweetness and flavor, but not heavy. Fresh cherries were not available, so I used frozen dark unsweetened cherries (three 12-oz. bags). I also added a 1/2 cup of NOW flaked coconut to the topping, because we like coconut and it added another dimension of texture. Extremely easy to make. Took 15 minutes after I thawed the cherries.”
~ Shari L.
Makes 8 servings
|2 pounds (about 8 cups) cherries, pitted and quartered|
|1/2 teaspoon NOW Organic Vanilla Extract*|
|3 tablespoons orange juice, divided|
|1 cup pitted dates|
|3/4 cup NOW Natural Almonds*|
|1/3 cup NOW Chia Seeds*|
|1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon|
*NOW items available at your local health food store
- Toss cherries with vanilla and 2 tablespoons of the orange juice.
- Spoon into an 8-inch-square dish and smooth the top.
- In a food processor, combine dates, almonds, chia seeds and cinnamon and process until coarsely ground.
- Pour in remaining 1 tablespoon orange juice and pulse until combined.
- Spoon chia mixture evenly over the top of the cherries and serve, or cover and refrigerate up to 3 days.
Calories from Fat: 70
Total Fat: 7 g
Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 0 mg
Total Carbohydrates: 38 g
Dietary Fiber: 8 g
Sugars: 27 g
Protein: 5 g