Little Walnut Cookies
Adapted from the Chicago Tribune, January 16, 2011
The whole-grain goodness gives us far more fiber and nutrients with every bite. This recipe is a great lunchbox or anytime treat. The cookies are small. What's not small is the burst of flavor.
Makes 18 bite-size cookies
|1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour|
|1/2 cup ground NOW Real Food® Raw Walnuts*|
|1/8 teaspoon sea salt|
|1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon non-hydrogenated margarine, room temperature|
|1/4 cup NOW Real Food® Date Sugar*|
|2 tablespoons NOW Real Food® Organic Maple Syrup*|
|1/2 teaspoon NOW Real Food® Organic Vanilla Extract*|
|2 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips|
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place walnuts in a food processor; pulse until chopped very fine but still dry and powdery (or use a rolling pin to crush).
- Stir together the walnuts, flour and salt in a small bowl.
- Beat 1/4 cup of the margarine and the date sugar together until smooth and fluffy, then beat in maple syrup and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture; lightly stir together to mix.
- Form balls with a 1-tablespoon-size scoop; place on parchment paper-lined cookie sheet, with balls 2 inches apart.
- Moisten your fingers with water; lightly press each cookie down.
- Bake until the cookies are slightly browned on the bottom; about 10 minutes per batch.
- Cool cookies on wire rack.
- Return cookies to cookie sheet, placing them in straight lines, touching each other on both sides.
- For icing, melt 1 tablespoon of the margarine in a saucepan over low heat.
- Remove from heat, and whisk in the chocolate chips until they melt and the mixture is smooth.
- Dip a fork into the icing; quickly drizzle icing over cookies to create fine lines.
Recipe tips: Do not overgrind the walnuts, or they may turn into nut butter. Date sugar, made from dried, ground dates, is a good alternative to refined white sugar. If the date sugar has clumped up, loosen it with your fingers before measuring.
Nutrition information, per cookie:
81 calories (60% of calories from fat)
6 g fat (1 g saturated fat)
0 mg cholesterol
7 g carbohydrates
1 g protein
53 mg sodium
1 g fiber
*NOW items available at your local health food store