Raw Pecan Pie with Almonds and Dates
Adapted from NaturalNews.com
If you are a raw food fan, you and your guests will love this healthy version. Rather than serve this pie in traditional slices, you may want to use a good knife to divide the pie into 2-inch squares.
|2 cups (soaked for one hour, drained and dried) NOW Real Food® Raw Almonds*|
|3 dozen pitted dates, soaked for one hour, drained (save water)|
|1 tablespoon fresh lemon or lime juice|
|1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|1/4 teaspoon sea salt|
|1/2 teaspoon NOW Real Food® Organic Vanilla Extract*|
|2 cups (soaked for one hour, drained, and dried) NOW Real Food® Raw Pecans*|
- Put almonds and 10 dates in a food processor and blend until they have a crust-like consistency. Add a small amount of water (saved from soaking the dates) if necessary to aid in bringing almonds and dates together.
- Grease a pie plate or 9-inch square baking pan with a light coat of coconut oil to prevent the pie from sticking.
- Use a spatula or the underside of a spoon to press the almond-date crust into the bottom and sides of the plate or pan, then put the finished crust in the freezer until time to fill it.
- Combine the remaining dates, fresh lemon or lime juice, cinnamon, sea salt, and vanilla in a food processor and blend until smooth. Use a small amount of water (left over from soaking dates) if necessary.
- Spread the date filling evenly over the almond-date crust and arrange the raw pecans on top of the filling, pressing down lightly to keep the pecans in place.
Note: This pie can also be baked in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, or else cooked on low broil for about five minutes for crispier pecans. Hint: Put a bit of raw honey on top of the pecans for a tasty glaze.
*NOW items available at your local health food store