Carrot Oat Cake
Adapted from Whole Foods Market recipes
Enjoy this hearty carrot cake for breakfast, a snack or dessert. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 16 servings
|Natural cooking spray|
|1 cup NOW Real Food® Rolled Oats*|
|1 cup chopped NOW Real Food® Organic Raw Walnuts*|
|1 cup whole wheat pastry flour|
|2 teaspoons baking powder|
|1 teaspoon baking soda|
|1 teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|1/2 teaspoon ground ginger|
|1/2 teaspoon salt|
|2 cups grated carrots|
|1 cup NOW Real Food® Organic Maple Syrup*|
|1 cup dried currants|
|1/2 cup NOW Real Food® Organic Unsweetened Shredded Coconut*|
|1 1/2 teaspoons NOW Real Food® Organic Vanilla Extract*|
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Lightly oil a 9-inch square baking pan with cooking spray and set it aside.
- Pulse oats and walnuts in a food processor until coarsely ground, then ransfer to a large bowl.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt and mix well.
- In a second large bowl, combine carrots, maple syrup, currants, coconut and vanilla.
- Add carrot mixture to flour mixture and stir until completely incorporated.
- Transfer to prepared pan and bake until cooked through and deep golden brown, about 1 hour.
- Set aside to let cool before cutting into squares.
Nutrition per serving:
190 calories (50 from fat)
6 g total fat
1 g saturated fat
0 mg cholesterol
230 mg sodium
32 g total carbohydrate (3 g dietary fiber, 19 g sugar)
4 g protein
*NOW items available at your local health food store