Whole Wheat Apricot Scones with Flax Seeds and Oats
Adapted from Whole Foods Market recipes
These hearty scones are nutrient-dense and deliciously satisfying. Using a food processor to make the dough means quicker prep time and easy clean-up.
Makes 12 scones
|2 cups whole wheat flour|
|1 cup NOW Real Food® Rolled Oats*|
|3 tablespoons NOW Real Food® Organic Flax Seeds*|
|1 tablespoon baking powder|
|1/4 teaspoon salt|
|5 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces and well chilled|
|3/4 cup chopped dried apricots|
|2/3 cup honey|
|1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon low-fat buttermilk, divided|
|1/2 teaspoon almond extract (optional)|
|Optional: 1 to 2 tablespoons NOW Real Food® Organic Turbinado Sugar*|
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Put flour, oats, flax seeds, baking powder and salt into a food processor and pulse until combined.
- Add butter and pulse again mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Add apricots and repeat process.
- In a small bowl, whisk together honey, 1/2 cup of the buttermilk, eggs and almond extract then pour in a constant stream into food processor while pulsing just until mixture is blended.
- Transfer dough to a well-floured surface and form into a 9-inch circle.
- Using a floured knife, cut dough into 12 wedges and transfer to a large baking sheet, arranging the scones 1 to 2 inches apart.
- Brush scones with remaining 1 tablespoon buttermilk then sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake until cooked through and golden brown around the edges; about 25 minutes.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
*NOW items available at your local health food store