Flourless Almond Torte
Adapted from Guideposts Magazine, May 2009
This torte relies on egg power for leavening, so beat the yolks until thick and foamy. But watch the egg whites—they can get too dry in a hurry.
|3 large organic eggs, at room temperature, separated (no yolk in egg whites)|
|¼ teaspoon sea salt|
|Pinch of cream of tartar (optional)|
|⅓ cup NOW Real Food® Organic Maple Syrup*|
|2 cups (7 ounces) almond meal|
|½ teaspoon NOW Real Food® Organic Vanilla Extract*|
|Fresh seasonal fruit for topping (optional)|
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line an 8-inch cake pan with a parchment paper circle cut to fit the bottom. Spray sides lightly with natural oil spray.
- Using a hand mixer, beat egg whites with salt and cream of tartar on medium high until stiff, but not dry, peaks form.
- Transfer egg whites to a clean bowl.
- Using same mixer bowl, add yolks and beat on medium speed, then gradually add maple syrup and beat on high until mixture is thick, light in color and foamy; about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Beat in the almond meal and vanilla extract.
- Fold beaten egg whites into batter gently, beginning by scooping in about ¼ of the egg-white mixture to lighten batter.
- Fold in remaining egg whites, taking care not to deflate mixture too much.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth top gent¬ly with a spatula.
- Bake for about 35 minutes, or until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on rack for 10 minutes.
- Run a metal spatula around edge of pan and un-mold the torte onto a lightly oiled rack. Invert cake to cool completely.
- Serve in wedges, topped with your favorite seasonal fruit and a drizzle of maple syrup.
*NOW items available at your local health food store