Tabbouleh Salad with a Quinoa Twist
Created by the NOW® Culinary Innovation Team
Delicious and flavorful Tabbouleh salad using Quinoa, high in protein and rich with fiber!
Cook’s Review: This was a very tasty salad! ~ Lizette R.
Makes 4 servings
|1 cup (6 ounces) NOW Certified Organic Quinoa Grain*|
|½ tsp ground cumin|
|1 teaspoon kosher salt|
|½ tsp ground black pepper|
|1 tomato, finely chopped|
|1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed, drained|
|2 cloves of garlic, finely minced|
|1 cucumber, finely chopped|
|½ sweet onion, finely chopped|
|1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, rinsed|
|¼ cup minced fresh mint|
|¼ cup Ellyndale Organics™ Extra-Virgin Olive Oil*|
|¼ cup fresh lemon juice|
*NOW products available at your local health food store
1. In a medium saucepan, place 1 cup of organic quinoa.
2. Rinse with cold water and drain. Continue this cycle 3 times.
3. Place 2 cups of cold water in the saucepan with ½ tsp of salt, ½ tsp cumin, and 1 cup of drained quinoa.
4. Allow for the mixture to come up to a boil.
5. Reduce the heat to low; cover for 15-20 minutes, or until the water has evaporated.
6. Turn off the heat and allow for the mixture to cool for 5 minutes.
7. Fluff with a fork
8. In a separate sauté pan, place 1 tsp of extra virgin olive oil, chopped onions, and chopped garlic.
9. Sauté for 3 minutes on medium heat or until the onions have softened.
10. In a bowl, combine the chopped flat leaf parsley with fresh mint, cucumbers, tomato, chickpeas, sautéed onions and garlic.
11. Add to the cooled quinoa.
12. Toss olive oil and lemon juice.
13. Season with remaining ½ teaspoon salt and pepper and serve.
Total Fat: 22g
Saturated Fat: 5g
Total Carbohydrate: 52g
Dietary Fiber: 9g