Cinnamon Holiday Quinoa with Turkey Sausage
Created by the NOW® Culinary Innovation Team
Heart-healthy quinoa combines with turkey sausage, ginger and greens for a satisfying one-dish supper.
Makes 4 servings.
|1 package (about 12 ounces) turkey sausage, cut into 1/2-inch cubes|
|1 sweet onion, chopped|
|2 Tablespoons chopped sage|
|1 cup apple hard cider or apple juice|
|1 cup NOW Organic Quinoa Grain*|
|1/2 cup dried NOW Ginger Dices, fine chopped|
|1 teaspoon fine sea salt|
|2 cups chopped kale lightly packed|
|1 tsp Ellyndale Organics™ Extra Virgin Olive Oil|
|1 tsp brown sugar|
|½ tsp cinnamon|
|3 tbsp lemon juice|
*NOW products available at your local health food store
1. In a large pot, place 1 tbsp of NOW Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
2. Add sausage, onions, and salt over medium-high heat until the onions turn light brown- about 7-10 minutes.
3. Add sage and cook for 1 minute
4. Add cider, quinoa, ginger dices, brown sugar, cinnamon, and 3/4 cup water and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits at the bottom of the pan.
5. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until liquid is absorbed, 15-20 minutes.
6. Uncover, fluff with a fork.
7. Add chopped kale and lemon juice.
8. Serve and enjoy!