Adapted from Whole Foods Market Recipes
Enjoy these crunchy, hearty oatcakes with a cup of tea for breakfast or an afternoon snack. Spread your favorite jam on top.
Makes 2 dozen
|2 cups NOW Real Food® Rolled Oats*|
|1/2 cup whole wheat flour, plus more for dusting|
|2 tablespoons butter, melted|
|2 tablespoons honey|
|1/2 teaspoon fine salt|
|1/2 teaspoon baking powder|
|2 egg whites (from large eggs)|
|Optional for sprinkling on top: NOW Real Food® Turbinado Sugar*|
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Put oats into a food processor and pulse until coarsely ground.
- Transfer oats to a large bowl.
- Add flour, butter, honey, fine salt, baking powder and egg whites and stir just until combined.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and roll out into a 1/4-inch thick rectangle.
- Using a round cookie cutter, cut dough into (2 1/2-inch) circles and transfer to prepared baking sheet.
- Sprinkle tops with sugar and bake until deep golden brown and firm, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Set aside to let cool completely before serving.
Per serving (1 each):
60 calories (15 from fat)
1.5 g total fat
0.5 g saturated fat
5 mg cholesterol
65 mg sodium
10 g total carbohydrate (1 g dietary fiber, 2 g sugar)
2 g protein
*NOW items available at your local health foods store