Apricot Nut Bread
Adapted from the California Nut Festival Cookbook, Chico California, 2007
Makes 2 small loaves.
|1 cup NOW Real Food® Organic Turbinado Sugar*|
|2 Tablespoons shortening|
|1 egg, lightly beaten|
|3/4 cup milk|
|3/4 cup fresh orange juice|
|4 teaspoons freshly grated orange rind|
|3 cups all-purpose flour, unsifted|
|3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder|
|1 teaspoon salt|
|3/4 cup chopped NOW Real Food® Organic Walnuts*|
|6 oz. NOW Real Food® Unsweetened Dried Apricots*|
|1/2 cup boiling water|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Plump apricots in boiling water and set aside.
- Thoroughly blend sugar, shortening and egg.
- Stir in milk, orange juice and orange rind.
- Sift dry ingredients and stir in nuts until nuts are well mixed in.
- Add to liquid mixture.
- Drain and coarsely chop apricots.
- Blend into batter and pour into 2 small 7-inch loaf pans.
- Let stand for 20 minutes.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes on a rack, then remove from pans and cool completely.
- Wrap in foil and let stand in the refrigerator for 2 days to allow flavors to blend.
*NOW items available at your local health food store