Old-Fashioned Whole Wheat Bread
From Rosemary Nisbet, NOW Foods
|5 cups all-purpose flour|
|2 packages active dry yeast|
|2 3/4 cups water|
|1/2 cup molasses|
|1/4 cup Spectrum brand organic all-vegetable shortening|
|1 Tbsp salt|
|2 1/2 cups whole wheat or white whole wheat flour|
|1/2 cup NOW Real Food® Golden Flax Meal*|
- Combine 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour and the yeast.
- Heat water, sugar, shortening, and salt just until warm (115 to 120 degrees) and shortening is almost melted, stirring constantly.
- Add to flour mixture.
- Beat at low speed of electric mixer for 1/2 minute, scraping bowl, then beat 3 minutes at high speed.
- Stir in whole wheat flour and flax meal and as much remaining all-purpose flour as you can mix in, using a spoon.
- Knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (10 to 12 minutes).
- Place in greased bowl, turn once.
- Cover and let rise until doubled (about 1 hour).
- Punch down.
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface.
- Divide in half.
- Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Shape each half into loaf and place in two greased 8x4x2-inch loaf pans.
- Cover and let rise until almost doubled (about 45 minutes).
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 40 to 45 minutes; cover loosely with foil the last 20 minutes if tops brown too quickly.
*NOW items available at your local health food store