Orange Bran Flax Muffins
Recipe courtesy of the Flax Council of Canada
Whole oranges give these muffins a wonderful flavor. For chocolate lovers, substitute organic chocolate chips for raisins.
Makes 18 muffins
|1 ½ cups oat bran|
|½ cup Ellyndale™ Organic Canola Oil|
|1 tsp. baking soda|
|½ cups organic raisins*|
|2 whole oranges, washed, quartered, and seeded|
|1 cup brown sugar|
|1 cup buttermilk|
|1 cup all-purpose flour|
|1 cup Herbel Select milled flax seed|
|1 cup natural bran|
|1/2 tsp salt|
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- In a large bowl, combine oat bran, flour, milled flax seed, bran, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a blender or food processor, combine oranges, brown sugar, buttermilk, oil, eggs and baking soda. Blend well.
- Pour orange mixture into dry ingredients. Mix until well blended.
- Stir in raisins.
- Fill paper lined muffin tins almost to the top.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centre of muffin comes out clean.
- Cool in tins 5 minutes before removing to cooling rack.
Nutritional Facts (1 muffin):
Protein: 6.1 g
Carbohydrate: 44.5 g
Fiber: 5.7 g
Fat: 11.5 g
Cholesterol: 23.6 mg
Sodium: 236 mg
Potassium: 439 mg
Folate: 54 mg