Oat Bran Bread
Adapted from Whole Grain Gourmet website
This bread is packed with nutrients. An ounce of oat bran has 6 grams of protein, 150 milligrams of potassium, 20% of the RDA of vitamin B1, and 8% of the RDA of iron. It is also very satisfying, so enjoy a large piece for breakfast and you won't find yourself needing to snack much in between meals.
|2 cups NOW Oat Bran*|
|1/4 cup Wheat Germ|
|1/4 cup NOW Flax Seed Meal*|
|1/4 cup firmly packed Brown Sugar|
|2 tsp Baking Powder|
|1 cup Skim or 2% Low fat Milk|
|2 Egg Whites (no yolk), slightly beaten|
|1/4 cup Honey or Molasses|
|2 Tbsp Ellyndale Organics™ Extra-Virgin Olive Oil*|
|1 tsp Cinnamon|
|1 ripe Banana, mashed|
|1/2 to 1 cup Blueberries|
|1/2 to 1 cup NOW Walnuts*|
*NOW items available at your local health food store
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Add milk, egg whites, honey, oil and banana; mix just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Mix in blueberries, and nuts.
- Spray flat, square baking dish with vegetable oil cooking spray. Do not use a loaf pan.
- Place foil around the edges of the baking dish or edges will burn.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
To Make Muffins Instead of Bread:
Fill 1 dozen prepared muffin cups almost full;
Bake 15 to 17 minutes or until golden brown.
To freeze, wrap securely; store in freezer up to 3 months.