Sugar Snap Pea Summer Rolls
Recipe courtesy of Vegetarian Times, www.VegetarianTimes.com
The rice paper wrappers for these Vietnamese-style summer rolls can be found in any Asian grocery store, as can the Indonesian sambal oelek hot sauce. Once you’ve mastered making the rolls—which is as simple as rolling a burrito—you can fill them with anything from shredded vegetables to seasoned tofu. The sesame seeds add a nice crunch.
|¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce|
|¼ cup rice wine vinegar|
|¼ cup water|
|2 tsp. sesame oil|
|1 tsp. sambal oelek|
|32 sugar snap peas (about 12 oz.)|
|8 oz. rice vermicelli|
|1 tsp. lime juice|
|2 Tbs. toasted sesame seeds|
|½ tsp. salt|
|¼ tsp. white pepper|
|8 rice paper wrappers|
|32 fresh mint leaves plus extras|
To make Dipping Sauce:
- Whisk all ingredients together in small bowl
To make Summer Rolls:
- Bring pot of salted water to a boil. Cook snap peas 2 minutes. Drain, and immediately plunge into cold water.
- Peel carrot into about 40 long, thin strips.
- Wash and trim scallions to 3 inches long.
- Place rice vermicelli in large bowl, and pour boiling water over to cover; let stand 3 minutes. Drain, and rinse with cold water. Return noodles to bowl, and stir in lime juice, sesame seeds, salt and pepper.
- Place one rice paper wrapper on clean work surface. Dip clean dish towel in cold water, and moisten wrapper on both sides to soften, making sure to wet edges well. When soft, place 4 mint leaves in line down center. Top with 1/4 cup noodle mixture, placing it in log shape and leaving about 1 inch of space on each side. Set 4 cooked sugar snap peas on top of noodles. Place scallion on top, and scatter with 4 or 5 carrot strips.
- To close roll, gently lift top edge of rice paper wrapper from work surface, and roll it tightly once over filling. Carefully fold in both sides over filling, and roll wrapper toward you tightly to seal. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling ingredients. If not eating immediately, chill well.
- Serve with dipping sauce and extra mint leaves.
Protein: 6 g
Total Fat: 2 g
Carbohydrates: 35 g
Sodium: 370 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 3 g