Almond, Bean & Grain Burgers
Adapted from Clean Eating Magazine
These meatless burgers are loaded with flavor and texture from crunchy almonds, smooth chewy bulgur, aromatic shallots and garlic.
Makes 4 servings
|1 1/2 tsp Ellyndale Organics™ Extra Virgin Olive Oil*, divided|
|1/4 cup minced shallots|
|3 large cloves garlic, minced|
|1/4 cup bulgur wheat|
|1 1/2 cups cooked black beans|
|1/4 cup NOW Natural Almonds*|
|1/2 tsp sea salt|
|1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper|
|1/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt|
|1/4 cup whole-wheat bread crumbs|
*NOW items available at your local health food store
- Prepare burgers: Heat 1 tsp oil in a medium saucepot on medium-high.
- Add shallots and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes, until shallots are soft and translucent.
- Add 1/3 cup water and bring to a boil.
- Stir in bulgur, return to a boil, cover and remove from heat.
- Let bulgur sit for 15 minutes to absorb water and cook.
- Meanwhile, add beans, almonds, salt and pepper to the bowl of a food processor.
- Pulse mixture 25 times, until a coarse paste begins to form.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine yogurt and bread crumbs. Add hot bulgur and mix thoroughly.
- Scrape bean-almond mixture into bowl and work ingredients together, either with clean hands or by folding with a large spatula.
- Divide mixture into 4 equal piles and form each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty.
- Place patties on a baking sheet or large plate lined with parchment paper and refrigerate for about 15 minutes, uncovered.
- Remove patties from refrigerator. Heat a large skillet (not nonstick) on high.
- Brush remaining 1/2 tsp oil over surface of skillet.
- When skillet is very hot, add patties and sear for 2 to 3 minutes per side. (NOTE: If your skillet is not large enough to hold all 4 patties without crowding, cook in batches.)