Over the past decade, NOW Foods has significantly increased our environmental efforts. Looking forward, we will continue to explore new ways to reduce our carbon footprint while setting an example for others.
Recent sustainability progress includes:
- Installation of an automatic night cooling system which allows more efficient control of warehouse temperatures.
- Expansion of in-house recycling and reuse programs to include food dust collections from dust collectors and filter cleaning. This material is offered for beneficial reuse as hog feed supplement.
- Holding annual Christmas & holiday light recycling drives.
- Installation of a rain/moisture sensor to prevent unnecessary landscape watering.
- Providing free barrels to the Village of Bloomingdale for use as trash receptacles in parks, and to SCARCE for use in resource collection drives.
- Hosting an educational booth at the 2nd annual Cantigny Green Fair.
- Setting printers to default to double-sided printing.
- Installation of an LED company building sign.
- Installation of filtered water stations for re-filling personal water containers.
- Sharing information on sustainable business practices at STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) Teachers Workshop.
- Promoting rain barrel usage with our staff.
- Educating staff on recycling opportunities for electronics and household hazardous waste.
- Switching to 100% recycled content shipping boxes.
NOW Western Operations - Certified LEED Silver
NOW’s Sparks facility is a green facility built to adhere to LEED program specifications, which supports NOW’s focus on environmental and sustainability initiatives. The Sparks facility is LEED Silver certified. Read more...
NOW's Sustainability Progress:
- Water conservation projects save over 1.3 million gallons of water per year
- Energy efficient lighting saves over 600,000 k Wh/hrs annually.
- We recycle over 400 tons of material annually.
- We recycle 100% of our E-waste (obsolete electronics) to protect groundwater.
- We switched to 100% recycled content shipping boxes saving over 12,000 trees annually.
- For over a decade, NOW employees have helped maintain our local forest preserve by holding volunteer clean-up and planting days.
NOW Plugs Into Clean, Renewable Solar Energy
NOW recently completed the installation of it’s own Solar Panel Grid System. The 7,095 watt solar energy system is made up of thirty-three (33) individual 215 watt solar modules, along with one power inverter. A solar grid of this magnitude can generate 10,358 kilowatt hours (kH) of electricity per year, on average. Read More...